About BUTLER Wills and Estates Consulting Services
If you’ve ever wanted to talk to a lawyer about a will or estate but didn’t, what held you back?
Was it the expense? The difficulty of getting an appointment? The dread of commencing a
long, drawn-out, ugly lawsuit? Or maybe the whole situation seems too overwhelming and
you don't know where to start.
We're not your average law firm. Butler Wills and Estates Consulting Services is accessible,
informal, and affordable. We offer more than thirty years of experience in wills and estates matters and
high-end results, provided in ways that work for our clients. This is a law firm like you’ve never
What makes us so different? We have a fresh mindset that sets us apart.
• Our focus is on practical problem solving and conflict resolution, not on lengthy, expensive litigation.
We conduct mediation sessions aimed at resolving disputes without tearing families apart or
costing tens of thousands of dollars.
• With the exception of litigation, we don’t use the billable hour system used by most lawyers. We use set prices for set jobs,
so you know what the work will cost before you start.
• We carry a large selection of books, legal articles, and how-to kits we’ve prepared on wills and estates topics that you can purchase at low prices, without being obligated to hire us for anything. Anyone can come in and purchase the materials they want at any time.
• We’ll tailor our services to help you as much or as little as you need.
• You can come in for a single consultation at a reasonable price without being obligated to hire us to do work for you. If you decide to hire us after a consultation, we'll deduct the fee for the consultation from your final bill.
Lynne Butler, BA, LLB, TEP
Lawyer, mediator, public speaker, author
Lynne graduated from UBC law school and was called to the bar in Alberta in 1986. Her enjoyment of wills and estates law began early, and this grew into a passion over the years. After more than 30 years, thousands of wills drawn and hundreds of estates probated, Lynne joined a leading trust company and worked as an estate planner for a further seven years. She now works in her home province of Newfoundland and Labrador.
Lynne has appeared on, or been interviewed by, CPAC, CityTV, Global TV, BNN, CBC Radio, the Wall Street Journal, the Globe and Mail, the Vancouver Province, the Edmonton Journal, the Toronto Star, the Montreal Gazette, Canadian Lawyer Magazine, Today's Parent Magazine, Caregiver Solutions Magazine, Advisor's Edge Magazine and Maclean's Magazine, as well as several websites.
Currently Lynne is the chair for the Wills and Estates section of the Bar Admission Committee in Newfoundland, and has previously taught the legal writing and research portion of the Alberta Bar Admission course.
Daisy outside the Supreme Court of Newfoundland and Labrador, St. John's.
Chelsea Kennedy, BA
Chelsea holds a bachelor's degree in Criminology and Sociology from MacEwan University in Alberta. She has a strong background in customer service, problem-solving, and analytics.
Chelsea is responsible for coordinating all of Butler Wills and Estates Consulting Services events, seminars, appointments, public relations, social media, marketing, and human resources, in addition to the day-to-day running of the office.
Born and raised in St. John's, Sarah is a recent graduate of the Paralegal Studies program at Academy Canada. She joined our team as a full-time paralegal in May 2021, and assists with drafting documents, providing clients with information, and conducting legal research.
Sarah also assists with preparing for litigation and provides general support for all clerical needs.
Our office is fully accessible. There is free parking right in front, there are no stairs, and all meeting rooms are on the main floor.
"Your assistance is invaluable with the information you provide. Big HUGE thanks." - T.B.
"I wish I had come to you first." - C.C.